Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Sam and I met a creature on our walk today

Sam and I went for a hike behind our house today and met this handsome marten, called a pine marten in the U.S.
This medium-sized member of the weasel family was likely out hunting red-backed voles, red squirrels, snowshoe hares and ruffed grouse.
I caught a glimpse of him sailing over the snow and rushed toward him so that he would seek safety in a tree until I could take out my camera and get a photo.
Click to go back to our website
 Click to see the latest on the blog

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting Dan. I've never seen a marten in the wild. It's amazing how fast they are. I've seen wildlife films of them chasing and catching squirrels.

Dan B. said...

I've never seen them actually get a squirrel but they are so fast at climbing it is difficult to see how a squirrel could get away.